Re: [Planner Dev] Planner for Windows

> At some extent it is simpler, yes.
>
> You have to have that... --host=mingw32 to crosscompile on Cygwin.

Well, it gave me some headaches, so I went for quick approach. Now that Planner is working, we can start to clean up and improve the patch.

> Main problem in your approach is that it is somewhat version
> spesific.
> If something changes in makefiles or in buildprocess, you have to
> change
> makefiles. With autoconf/automake you just don't have to worry
> about
> those much and implementing platform spesific stuff is a bit easier.

I know. Hopefully we can work to make it more GTK dependant and remove some of the GNOME dependencies (need to finish the HMTL export plugin as I did only the basic move from GnomeUI widgets to their suggested replacements).

> Only thing that has given a headache is that damn backreference in
> planner.exe, but it's going away when separate views are compiled
> in
> main app (IIRC it has been raised as a bug/enh in bugzilla).

Yes, that would be nice. It is a bit painful to setup all the directories needed during runtime. We probably should look at having them dependant on the location of libplanner-1.dll on Windows instead of being relative to the current directory like it is right now.

> I'm starting to look that native printing stuff after I can
> compile
> planner properly.

Ok. I've opened a few bugs against it already. I think it will be officially part of libgnomeprint on version 2.11 which is the next to come. I hope they can try Planner now and see the problems printing with it (specially the nasty font substituion that some printers may do and cause garbage on the output - much safer to use PDF for now :-)

> Hopefully I can push our company to use Planner instead that
> fuckin' MS
> Project.

:-)

> One reason I'm really interested is because now I can build Oracle
> DB
> support, and my company will be pleased to know that project plan
> can be
> integrated on other things, like project time tracking. MS Project
> can't
> ever do that.. =)

I've briefly looked at libgda and even found a precompiled dev package including MySQL and Postgres support, so it is possible add support.

Francisco