Re: [Planner Dev] Changes and Test guide for database backend

Hi!

El jue, 04-11-2004 a las 00:20, Richard Hult escribió:
> Alvaro del Castillo wrote:
> > Hi guys!
>
> Hi,
>
> I've finally tried the new database stuff. Unfortunately I didn't get far.
>
> > 6. Launch Planner, insert a few tasks and and save them in Database:
> >
> > File->Export->Save to Database
> >
> > Normally use "localhost" as Server, "plannerdb" (change it if you want)
> > as Database and fill "planner" as the Username.
> >
> > You don't have "plannerdb" create so Planner will ask you if you
> > want to create it. Ask yes so Planner can create the database.
>
> It asks this, but can't setup the tables. The only thing I see is this:
>
> (planner:10480): Planner-WARNING **: File with no version:
> /opt/gnome/share/planner/sql/database.sql
>
> Which is just a debug message I think.

Yes, it is a debug message because we need version in SQL files from
Planner so the create/upgrade process can work.

> I'm not sure what goes wrong, there is only an error dialog that says
> that the creation failed.

Hmmm, I am goin to test it another time, installing all from zero y a
fresh installation of Debian testing if we can find the problem.

> When looking at the database, I get one relation:
>
>   public | project | table | planner
>
> and nothing else. So it clearly can connect to the database, but
> something goes wrong.

Hmmm, this seems to be the bug with the GROUP in the SQL schemas. I have
deleted the GROUP code from the SQL tables in CVS, because a normal user
can't create GROUPS. So when you start loading the SQL schema using the
planner group for rights access, you get an error. I think this is why
it is failing for you, Richard. Please, take a look to the SQL schemas
to be sure no GROUP is used. I removed the GROUP creation code from CVS
in last commit.

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/planner/src/planner-sql-plugin.c?r1=1.21&r2=1.22

Hmmm, it seems it is removed .... very strange.

Commit done! Sorry Richard for making you lost time, I was sure this SQL
code was commented out, but I rename the file to play with it
(planner-sql-plugin.c) and later, when I did the commit, the changes
weren't registered :(

Also, the new SQL schema hasn't being changed. Hmm, I don't know what
went wrong in the last commit.

You can see now the change here:

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/planner/src/planner-sql-plugin.c?r1=1.23&r2=1.24

and here:

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/planner/data/sql/database-0.13.sql?r1=1.1&r2=1.2

We can talk about removing the GROUP feature but it is something that
creates problems, as you can see richard, and that it is a interesting
feature but not needed right now.

> I remember us having problems wrt UTF-8. Are there still any constraints
> on how the database must be setup?

No, the UTF-8 stuff is done automatically.

Cheers

-- Alvaro