Re: [Planner Dev] First patch to database backend

Hi!

El mié, 21-07-2004 a las 13:03, Richard Hult escribió:
> On sön, 2004-07-11 at 18:44 +0000, Alvaro del Castillo wrote:
> > Hi guys!
> >
> > After some days working in it, I have a first patch which features:
> >
> > - Creation of database in load/save with confirm dialogs.
> >
> > - Creation of database tables in load/save with confirm dialogs.
> >
> > - Upgrading of database load/save with confirm dialogs and nice WARNINGS
> >
> > I have some points to be solved, like moving some logic from frontend to
> > backend, but currently, all the logic is in the frontend because it is
> > easy to show the user UI will all the data in operations, but I think in
> > the future we will move logic to the backend.
> >
> > Once these patch is applied we can start working in database projects
> > maintanence and implementing a model for all the user access control to
> > databases. I need also to modifiy tables so we can have a global version
> > for all the projects. I am using now the Planner version from to play
> > with it, but we need the planner version which created the user database
> > tables.
> >
> > I think we won't support using different planner versions to share data
> > in a common database in the first release.
>
> Looks good... but why did you change the gpl header? :)

I change that? The GPL header?? Hmmm, very very strange ... but it is a
mistake. I don't want to do it ;-) I will change that before commit.

> There are missing spaces etc coding style wise that would be nice to get
> fixed before committing. Other than that:

I will review all the coding style, for sure! :)

>   _("Database %s need to be upgraded to version: %s."
>   " Please backup the database before upgrading."
>   " Have you done the backup and want to continue?")
>
> The last sentence should probably be removed (likewise for one more
> dialog).

Ok!

> _("Can't create tables in database %s. File %s could be corrupted."
>  "\n\nDatabase error: \n%s"),
>
> I think a corrupt file would be the least probable error here, no reason
> to make a guess like that, IMO.

Yes, you are right. Normally, it will be a install problem. I will use
better: "File %s isn't correct, maybe a install problem." Is it ok?

> Should set the main window as parent window for those dialogs (also
> something we need to go through and fix in older code).

Ok, I can do that.

>        _("Tables in database %s doesn't exist. "
>       "Do you want to create them?"),
>
> Should be "do not exist"... (or a more friendly wording like "The
> database is not setup for Planner. Do you want to do that?".)

I like your friendly wording better, we have to care our users. I will
use it.

Thanks richard, I will solve the problems and commit.

Cheers

-- Alvaro