Re: [Planner Dev] Planner task edit multiple-dialog enhancement patch (132453)

Richard Hult wrote:
On sön, 2004-04-11 at 04:53 +0100, Lincoln Phipps wrote:

Buona Pasqua....

Glad påsk!

Hey wow - my Mozilla renders the angstrom but don't know how to
input that on a Linux machine (KDE desktop).

I have a few comments on a fairly high level, I haven't gone through the
patch with my magnifying glass yet :)

The enum should be named PlannerTaskDialogPage<Foo> or some such, since
it's actually not an internal type. The enum values should be
PLANNER_TASK_DIALOG_PAGE_...

OK - didn't know the convention for enums - when you've finished review
will re-issue with it as this for further review.

I still don't like the submenu with all those "Edit Task Foo" items.
Like I've said, I'd rather wait adding lots of stuff to the menus since
it's a lot easier to add something when it's really needed than to
remove something after it's been in a few releases.

This'll evolve though. Still think being able to access the
pages directly from the Action-> menu in a single set of mouse
movements is a good thing.

We shouldn't fear that too many multi-page dialogs being
accessed like this will clutter the Action-> Menu as we
just don't have many to add.

We only really have "Tasks" that would even require this because
though Tasks and Resource have paged dialogs, its the Tasks that
will always outnumber Resources on any large project and Tasks
are always what you go through in batches updating things like
completion percentages, adding notes, adjusting resource allocations,
tweaking work/duration, adjusting priority or adjusting links.

Very rarely do I tweak resources on a project except say indirectly
as in the resource calendars (working time/holidays/vacation).

Also, I still think that just having one level of warning would suffice,
i.e. just warn if there are 10 tasks or so, and leave it at that.

There is just 1 level of warning and 1 level of stop. It was to
protect the user from themselves. If they had e.g. a project of
200 tasks and did a Select All -> Acion->Edit Dialogs->General Page
then they would not end up with 200 task dialogs but a error saying
to select less than 50. I felt this was a more graceful way of
handling user foolishness.

I felt 50 dialogs was a nice figure as you can open and close
50 dialogs on my dual Celeron500 /256Meg test machine in less
than a minute. Planner only seems to use 1xCPU worth so user
perception of the performance is like a single Celeron 500 which
nowadays is a toy PC.  One minute is a reasonable boundary for a
user to blame their own stupidity in doing what they just did
rather than the program for not stopping them.

The code could be left as-is and the MAX dialogs set to a bigger number
e.g. 100, 200, 500  though :)

Rgds, Lincoln.