Re: Login time

On 11/04/07, Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com> wrote:
I'd *love* to use a less pedestrian tool.  Does anyone know if Systemtap
is mature enough for this?  We'd need to say, "tell me every time
<function> gets called in this process", for a bunch of processes.

Would it suffice to trigger this from an environment variable?

If the function in question is in a shared library, an LD_PRELOAD shim
could provide this information. A stub could capture time, pid,
function args then proxy onto the original function (and capture
time+return value on the way back if desired).

I think Solaris truss allows this (truss -u), with pattern matching on
library and function name. Automating the LD_PRELOAD shim so it has a
better UI than writing your own stub by hand shouldn't be too tricky.

Is that what you want/need or do you think it would throw the timings
off too much?

jb