Re: Login time

Michael,

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 10:54 -0400, Michael R. Head wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 14:30 +1000, Magnus Boman wrote:
> > Federico,
> >
> > Looking at the page http://live.gnome.org/GnomePerformance/LoginTime you
> > want to patch Nautilus to see when the Desktop is loaded and painted.
> > Would it be possible to see this via strace? If that's the case, it
> > should be easy to use strace and fifo in combination with a script to
> > see when it's done?
>
> Doesn't strace drastically affect performance? I thought the goal was to
> see how long these parts of the login process take under normal
> conditions.

You can still see the progress even if it is slower (doesn't bootchart
use strace as well?). My reason for suggestion something simple is that
building an environment, modifying code, recompiling and testing can be
hard for a lot of people (me included). By using this sort of method,
anyone can be involved in testing etc.
And what is normal conditions anyway? I get different numbers on my
P4/2.8Mzh machine compared to that of my shiny new laptop...

Cheers,
Magnus