[Fwd: Re: Gtk performance issues from a user's point of view]

Arg, forgot the list.

-------- Mensagem original --------
Assunto: Re: Gtk performance issues from a user's point of view
Data: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:36:31 -0300
De: Solerman Kaplon <solerman gmail com>
Para: Adalbert Dawid <dawid rinux net>
Referências: <pan 2006 09 28 18 13 48 13057 rinux net> <451CC1BF 6090100 nokia com> <pan 2006 09 29 10 18 24 676799 rinux net>

Adalbert Dawid escreveu:
> For example, if you create a GTK window and populate it with a single
> GtkButton (which will resize along when one resizes the window). Now
> select the "classic" GTK theme, so that the button is just a flat, grey
> area. No gradients, no further calculations should be necessary when the
> button gets bigger. Now resize the window and you will notice that the
> repaints get *much* slower when the window (and the embedded button) gets
> large. But why is that? The button is only a flat grey area, so one would
> expect that it can be drawn equally fast, independently of it's size.
>
> I hope, that makes my thoughts clearer now.

As much as one could blame X for that (not having a fast enough path for
graphic data or a proper way to draw flicker-free widgets without
holding a double buffer for each window), one can see the same effect on
GTK on windows too. Just take gaim and try to resize a chat window. Is
the well know gray resize effect that happens to swing apps as well.
Now, why GTK need to do that? Is the synchronized resize that slow that
needs to use an assync painting to now slow it down or something? I'm no
GTK expert, but when one sees what ETK (a GTK-like port to e17) perfoms
a lot a better, start to wonder what is wrong...
My first guess would lead me to take a look at the theme engine and see
what it is doing down there, and if it possible to make it work better.

Solerman