Gtk+ performance when a11y enabled

Hi,

I've been running my GNOME desktop with a11y enabled for some days.
I've noticed some slow-down in performance. From an user point of
view, the worst case is when long TreeViews are involved (muine, for
example).

So I just run GtkPerf without and with a11y. Here are the results:

               Without a11y    With a11y
GtkEntry                0.04    0.12
GtkComboBox             2.82    3.29
GtkComboBoxEntry        1.79    2.3
GtkSpinButton           0.15    0.22
GtkProgressBar          0.06    0.12
GtkToggleButton         1.99    2.06
GtkCheckButton          1.26    1.32
GtkRadioButton          1.49    1.53
GtkTextView (add)       1.25    1.31
GtkTextView (scroll)    0.38    0.44

The average slow-down is 42%. Maybe we should try to optimize atk/gail
for the worst cases: GtkEntry and GtkTreeView (I did a basic profiling
with sysprof over muine and gail is taking lot of cpu counting
non-visible/collapsed items)

Salu2