Re: b-a-s .server files & cold start ...

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 10:44 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > 	+ Net saving: 25 files (of 64) => 40% fewer files.
>
> This is an interesting and simple option, although it wouldn't help much
> for distros which already do preload/readahead.

	Of course, it saves time for the preloader itself ;-)

> One thing I'd like to know is how long it takes for
> bonobo-activation-server to *parse* the .server files with
> a warm cache --- that's effectively what we have with
> preload/readahead.

	I have a photograph of this happening in callgrind here:

	http://go-oo.org/~michael/b-a-s-prof.png

	I think it's safe to say that a full-blown XML implementation is not
really necessary for reading a few simple .server files; we should
prolly switch to GMarkup.

	It's what you'd expect really I guess, b-a-s doesn't actually do
anything at all complicated itself.

	HTH,

		Michael.

--
 michael meeks novell com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot