Re: Floating point in pango

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 08:47 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Hi;

> >> No :(
> >>

> > Neither that nice but;
> >
> >  - Have cairo expose a new alternate fixed point API that pango-cairo
> >    makes use of ( openGL API does a similar thing ). Internally cairo
> >    is mostly fixed point I believe.
>
> Is this something that we can do with just a typedef?

Not without a C++ compiler.  But that may be feasible still.  We use
floats like others do, add, multiply, sin(), cos(), and add & multiply
won't work straight on fixed.

> I don't think we should be afraid of adding an --enable-fixed-point=yes or
> --enable-embedded-api=yes build option so that the API is slightly
> different on some platforms. Backwards ABI compatibility isn't a big
> concern. Dependant software can then #ifdef where necessary to adapt its
> build to the alternative API.

Agreed.  At some point I started making the 16.16 fixed split in cairo
configurable, but didn't finish the patch.  That helps here too.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Dan Bern, "New American Language"