Re: Floating point in pango

> Hi;
>
> On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 12:04 +0300, Jorn Baayen wrote:
>> >
>> > True.  That's because cairo's public API uses floating point.  Do you
>> > have any idea how Pango can do better here?
>>
>> No :(
>>

> Neither that nice but;
>
>  - Have cairo expose a new alternate fixed point API that pango-cairo
>    makes use of ( openGL API does a similar thing ). Internally cairo
>    is mostly fixed point I believe.

Is this something that we can do with just a typedef?

I don't think we should be afraid of adding an --enable-fixed-point=yes or
--enable-embedded-api=yes build option so that the API is slightly
different on some platforms. Backwards ABI compatibility isn't a big
concern. Dependant software can then #ifdef where necessary to adapt its
build to the alternative API.

I've done similar things for gtkmm, for instance to optionally remove C++
exceptions from the API (and ABI).

>  - Wait a few years for FPU's to become commonplace on ARM hardware :(

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com
www.openismus.com