Re: gdmgreeter CPU usage

On 1/10/06, Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On 1/10/06, Padraig O'Briain <Padraig Obriain sun com> wrote:
> > I have dug deeper and found that indeed FcFontSort seems to be the
> > culprit. This function is called twice for each call to
> > pango_layout_line_get_extents and each call costs about 17 ms.
>
> I only see the two FcFontSort() calls on the very first invokation of
> pango_layout_line_get_extents(). Later calls use the cached fontsets.
> The two invokations are because we are first calling
> pango_font_map_load_fontset() for "Sans 10" and then later call
> it again for "Bitstream Vera Sans 9.9990234375". The second one
> looks slightly wrong to me, it should probably be "Sans 10" again...

...further up in the stack, it was looking for "serif 12". So it is probably
intentional that 2 fonts are being loaded here. (I wonder how vers sans 9.99
is the best match for serif 12, but thats a fontconfig question, I guess).

Anyway, this was from gtk-demo. A simple helloworld does only one
FcFontSort() call for me.