Re: GtkPerf data for GTK+ 2.6 vs GTK+ 2.10 vs Maemo-GTK+ 2.6 (on a Nokia 770)

2006/8/15, Carl Worth <cworth cworth org>:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:38:35 +0300, "Kalle Vahlman" wrote:
> Absolutely, so that's why I grabbed the gtk-engines 2.6.9 package
> (oldish, yes, but I needed to compile for GTK+ 2.6 too so...) and ran
> the (admittedly limited set of) GtkPerf tests with 8 of them (all or
> at least almost all of them?). Compiled with vanilla 2.6 and 2.10 and
> the maemo-GTK+.

Kalle,

I really appreciate you running these tests. Ever since you did that,
I've been anxious to replicate the experiment.

Good! :)

I've finally gotten around to doing something like that. The GTK+ 2.6
setup I built consists of the following libraries:

glib    2.6.6
pango   1.8.2
gtk+    2.6.10

While the GTK+ 2.10 setup I have is as follows:

atk     1.9.1
glib    2.12.1
cairo   1.2.2
pango   1.12.3
gtk+    2.10.1

It would be interesting to also test individual lib effects (although
that might give misleading results), for example using newer pango
with 2.6 and so on (as far as the compatibility goes). That wouldn't
neccessarilary give any worthwhile information about where to head
next, but it could be interesting to see how we've gotten here...

> So when you add the three builtin theme runs and one with the sapwood
> engine, you get a total of 28 different theme/GTK+ setups, all of them
> with 14 results plus a total time spent.

Oh, reading your message now I see I must have missed some themes. I
grabbed gtk-engines 2.6.9 and found 8 themes available for both builds
with gtk-theme-switch2. (Somehow Raleigh appeared in my 2.10
directory, but not in 2.6.) But how does one get at the "three builtin
themes"?

By *unsetting* the theme :)

Setting GTK2_RC_FILES to empty and making sure no
<SYSCONFDIR>gtk-2.0/gtkrc or ~/.gtkrc-2.0 is found should do the
trick.

That said, I guess the builtin theme is basically "just another gtk
theme" and benchmarking it may be a little silly since nobody actually
uses it... :)

> Needless to say, that spells "a lot of data". In fact, it seems to be
> a bit too much to show in one chart in any reasonable way.

Yes, I struggled with this a bit myself. Here's what I came up with
(just tables so far--no fancy charting) but hopefully this is still
usable:

http://cairographics.org/~cworth/gtk2.6_vs_2.10/

I think I will look into plotting these into the same chart with the
gtkperf results to see how they differ... That should be interesting.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi