atomic updates with ostree on Beaglebone boards

Hi all,

I'm looking into adapting the Beaglebone image-builder scripts (https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder) to offer an option to build with ostree support for full system atomic updates. I'm sure there are many challenges involved with this, but I'd like to better understand the boot process. The standard Beaglebone images leverage the /boot/uEnv.txt file to read in various device tree overlays at boot. Does anyone have any insights into what would be necessary to adapt the process to use ostree?

The ostree documentation (https://ostreedev.github.io/ostree/deployment/) mentions calculating the checksum of  the vmlinuz, initramfs and device tree files and appending that checksum to each file name. What is the purpose of doing that? Is there a way to make that work with device tree overlays? Is there a different method? I'm just starting to scratch the surface of what is necessary to make this work, so any insights are welcome!

Thanks,

-John