Re: A Proposal to make Experimental API Public in Ostree 2018.5

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
[ Can you subscribe to the list?  Currently I have to approve
  your mails in the mailman admin UI ]

Should be fixed now. I was using matthew.leeds+ml@ rather than matthew.leeds@

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018, at 4:18 PM, Matthew Leeds wrote:

After some discussion with Rob McQueen, Dan Nicholson, Philip Withnall and
others who are involved with making this happen, I'm proposing that this
API be made public (non-experimental) in next week's 2018.5 release, for
the following reasons.
sure I'm
OK.   I'm not entirely sure we can do next week since at least the deploy
staging stuff that landed is still in need of some work and we're
getting really slowed down by some CI issues (being worked on).
I guess we could back it out and do a new release, or actually...mark
the new ostree_sysroot_stage_tree() API experimental.

I thought you were already planning a release this week; that's why I said that.
But if that's not happening, don't worry about it. I've already given
up on getting
Flathub P2P enabled in time for Endless 3.4 because Flatpak also needs its
P2P API to be made public, and that seems premature given the bugs on that
side. But making the OSTree Experimental API public in the next release still
seems like a reasonable goal because then when Flatpak has that dependency [1]
Flatpak can enable P2P without waiting for another OSTree release.

[1] https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/1564

I feel like we should do a review of the experimental API bits in groups.
Making the `ostree_repo_lock_*()` and `ostree_remote_*()` APIs
stable should be fairly straightforward for example; after that do
the p2p bits?

Sure, but I'm not confident in my ability to do that review alone. I'm
in the IRC
channel if you want to coordinate that there.