Re: Grub2 bootstrap

On 03/27/2017 02:54 PM, Anton Gerasimov wrote:
On 03/22/2017 06:04 PM, Anton Gerasimov wrote:
On Tue, Mar 21, 2017, at 08:56 AM, Anton Gerasimov wrote:

OSTree:ERROR:src/libostree/ostree-bootloader-grub2.c:326:_ostree_bootloader_grub2_write_config:
assertion failed (deployments->len > 0): (0 > 0)
For Fedora (Atomic) we use Anaconda, which is its own world of complexity
and we have some hacks, e.g.:
https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/blob/4670805f77f3dfa391158af1535769b284e7f16e/pyanaconda/payload/rpmostreepayload.py#L318

You're presumably using `ostree admin --sysroot=/path/to/mounted/device deploy` right?
Or are you doing an install inside an existing VM and then saving that?

Is the `/boot/loader` directory in the target directory set up for
ostree correctly as a symlink to a loader.0 directory?

What is recommended bootstrap procedure for Grub2?
This is a messy topic because how bootloaders are set up vary a lot
across distributions; I'd like the current -grub2.c code to work as
widely as possible of course.

This PR is also likely interesting for you:
https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/pull/228

One of the major benefits is: "No need to install grub2 package on a target device."

Also on this topic, for Fedora at least we're likely to rework how grub2
works again; there's some terse info in https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/717
which I hope to fill in more soon.
Thanks Colin, "--with-builtin-grub2-mkconfig" actually solves all my
problems including compatibility with pseudo, I just missed that.

Best regards,
Anton Gerasimov

One last thing: is it possible to add support for libdir/prefix to the
deployment process with grub. The problem is that
"/usr/lib/ostree/ostree-grub-generator" path is hardcoded in
src/libostree/ostree-bootloader-grub2.c which works perfectly fine for
normal people, but not that fine if you change 'prefix' during config,
which we do in Yocto/OE.

Thanks,
Anton Gerasimov

Just created a PR on this issue:
https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/pull/760

Best regards,
Anton Gerasimov

--
Anton Gerasimov, ATS Advanced Telematic Systems GmbH
Kantstrasse 162, 10623 Berlin