Re: libostree v2017.3

On 10 March 2017 at 20:11, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
Oh...wow.  Right.  So there's this whole other layer in appstream
which isn't necessarily bound to the ostree commits then?

Not really, it's much simpler than that. In flatpak we have an
"appstream" branch which just ships the latest XML file gzipped (which
is all the source appdata files smashed together), and also the icons.
This is how we list localized information about apps. Installed apps
install a /usr/share/appdata source file, and gnome-software then just
looks for release tags in appstream that are not already installed. We
then just merge the <release> tags together and then format the text
in a pretty way.

I think using AppStream for this might work for the OS layer, but
somebody is going to need to write the "release notes" between Fedora
Atomic 25.0 and 25.1, and then 25.2, and then 25.3 etc. -- which
probably also need to be translated somewhere. This is obviously
polish, but important before we can roll it out to regular users.

Richard.