Re: OSTree and OCI images

(Email is better for architecture discussions, so moving back here)

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016, at 05:10 AM, Alexander Larsson wrote:

Really the only flatpak specific thing is the mapping from flatpak arch
strings to golang/oci arch strings.

Hum, maybe we can just have "hook" functions that allow the caller
to tweak the content.

Yeah, I've started extracting this. The first part is ostree support
for the Docker/OCI layer format (i.e. whiteout handling and file
overriding), which has a PR here:

https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/pull/578

So can we hash out on the list here - what are the advantages
and disadvantages of this "flattening" approach?

The atomic command right now represents each OCI layer
as an ostree ref.  When we want to deploy a container,
we compute the filesystem tree at checkout.

In this model OSTree isn't really involved at the transport
level at all, and we don't support image reassembly (bit for bit),
since Docker/OCI basically make that impossible[1].

I'm trying to understand what you mean by
" However we run into layers as we start importing apps from
   oci images which may have multiple layers that need to be combined."

Can you flesh this out a bit more?  What Docker/OCI app would
be imported into flatpak?  And for this use case, it's OK if
we discard the layering structure?  I.e. we don't have a use
case of wanting to pull just modified layers?

[1] https://github.com/projectatomic/skopeo/issues/11