Re: OSTree and OCI images

On tor, 2016-11-10 at 13:19 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
On Tue, Nov 1, 2016, at 09:16 AM, Alexander Larsson wrote:

Yesterday I landed support in flatpak to support exporting and
importing flatpak apps to an OCI image spec[1] repository on disk.
It turns out that this code is quite unspecific to flatpak, and
could
really be useful for any kind of ostree repo.

I've often debated something like this for Atomic Host.

Is there any interest in this? (Note: it does add a new json-glib
dependency to ostree.)

I think it'd make sense to extract from flatpak for sure.  Offhand
is there anything desktop-app specific aside from the appstream
stuff?

Really the only flatpak specific thing is the mapping from flatpak arch
strings to golang/oci arch strings.

We could have it be a build-time option for ostree, so people
who are doing "fixed purpose embedded" without wanting Docker/OCI
could just turn it off.  Or alternatively it could be a new shared
library?
Maybe something git-submodulable.

Yeah, I've started extracting this. The first part is ostree support
for the Docker/OCI layer format (i.e. whiteout handling and file
overriding), which has a PR here:

https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/pull/578

After that I'll look at "export branch to OCI local dir" plus "commit
from OCI local dir" and eventually at downloading from a remote OCI
dir.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's an immortal crooked sorceror with a secret. She's a hard-bitten
gypsy safe cracker with the power to see death. They fight crime!