Re: Avahi support

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016, at 06:29 PM, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:

We already have a static deltas infrastructure in place at Endless, so that requirement wouldn't really be a problem...
On the other hand, wouldn't that require clients to either keep the full static delta around, or to keep a history of past deployments instead of just the last one?

Yeah.

Or are you saying that the commit contains the full summary of the tree, and the client acting as a data source would assemble the list of files that changed by comparing the two summaries?

Well, things get a lot easier if we assume a smart server like git has.  At a small scale
it could make sense.  I've just not wanted to really try to do that myself because a protocol
is tricky to design, although most of it could probably be taken from git.  Plus static webservers
are very secure.

Though actually, it likely wouldn't be hard to write a webserver that knew how to generate
ostree objects on demand from the on-disk files (just basically gzipping them).

But for the static approach, the client keeping around the deltas doesn't seem too bad,
assuming that there's not a lot of version drift.  Say just keep the last delta, or possibly two?