Re: Avahi support

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
Is there any major architectural roadblock that would prevent this from being implemented?
Would this be an interesting feature for upstream OSTree?

I'm not sure.  Right now one *could* implement getting content from anywhere on top of the library externally, but in practice there are some nontrivial ergonomics to overcome.  And some stuff like `commitpartial` etc. is currently private to the HTTP fetcher.

My intuition here is that let's first get static deltas stable, and then anything else (bittorrent, Avahi) would be in terms of static deltas, which are an easier format to handle externally.  The "data source" would just need to know the commit FROM and commit TO, and just be responsible for gathering those files and handing them offline to ostree, a far simpler proposition.

We already have a static deltas infrastructure in place at Endless, so that requirement wouldn't really be a problem...
On the other hand, wouldn't that require clients to either keep the full static delta around, or to keep a history of past deployments instead of just the last one?
Or are you saying that the commit contains the full summary of the tree, and the client acting as a data source would assemble the list of files that changed by comparing the two summaries?

Cheers,
Cosimo