Re: Minimal example of using OSTree

Hi Dan,

On 08/16/2016 07:17 PM, Dan Nicholson wrote:
On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 2:47 PM, Vasilis <andz torproject org> wrote:

To sum up the "deployment" process:
* Commit the updated image tarball on the OSTree repository
* Trigger an update/upgrade on the host side
* Trigger a system restart on the host side for the filesystem-set to
take effect

Does this makes sense in an OSTree "deployment" or does it requires
any additional components or processes?

That's it. OSTree doesn't care how the files were put together. Once
you commit them on the server, clients will see a new checksum at the
reference they were configured with and can update.

Composing the tarball that you can actually boot is a little trickier
than it appears, though. Likewise, constructing the initial system
requires a little work. I'm not sure if it will help you, but
https://github.com/dbnicholson/deb-ostree-builder is a stripped down
version of the OSTree builder we use at Endless.
https://github.com/dbnicholson/deb-ostree-builder/blob/master/create-deployment
is a super simple script for taking an ostree commit and turning into
a deployed ostree system, but it's missing the important parts if you
wanted to make an actual raw image file. One big caveat - at Endless
our grub is patched to use Boot Loader Specification and we don't use
the OSTree grub generator at all. I'm sure it works fine, though.

Thank you for pointing me to deb-ostree-builder.

May I ask how do you build a relevant OSTree commit that makes sense to
create-deployment script?

~Vasilis

--
Fingerprint: 8FD5 CF5F 39FC 03EB B382 7470 5FBF 70B1 D126 0162
Pubkey: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5FBF70B1D1260162