Re: bmap for raw image deployment

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 6:36 AM, Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 gmail com> wrote:
Yes, just to give an example of how this idea was actually used in real
life - you are mass-producing your phone, they all have the same eMMC
(or few variants), you have a single image which your flasher deploys on
the factory. The flasher is very dumb and just writes blocks. Bmap file
tell which blocks to write.

But with a smarter flasher or the "firstboot" service one could enlarge
partitions or volumes if needed (in case the image is smaller than the
storage device).

This is actually super useful for us. We have a similar scenario at
Endless. We use 'dd' to flash initial devices, and then do a resize at
firstboot. Currently, this is an ad-hoc bash script in
https://github.com/endlessm/eos-meta/blob/master/eos-tech-support/eos-resize-device
-- does bmap include a more robust firstboot resize system?

We'll certainly look into using this internally, thanks for the pointer!