Re: qemu disk-mounting issue on openSUSE

On Tue, 2013-01-08 at 07:08 -0500, Michael Hill wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:24 AM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
>
> > $ rm /boot/ostree/initramfs-3.6.0-gnome-ostree.img
> > $ ostree admin update-kernel gnome-ostree /ostree/deploy/gnome-ostree/current
> >
> > The latter should
> > regenerate /boot/ostree/initramfs-3.6.0-gnome-ostree.img .
>
> Thanks, Colin. Now booting on openSUSE... time to start editing manifest.json.

Cool.  Incidentally, I just pushed new qemu scripts that run *entirely*
as non-root, mainly leveraging libguestfs ( http://libguestfs.org/ )
This is much much better from a testing perspective.  I've kept the old
ostbuild-qemu-pull-deploy script for now though, since it's probably the
right tool to use if you're pulling from a root-owned /ostree/repo
instead of an "archive mode" repo built as a regular user.

$ ostbuild qa-make-disk test.img
$ ostbuild qa-pull-deploy test.img /src/build/ostbuild/work/repo/ gnome-ostree trees/gnomeos-3.8-x86_64-runtime
$ /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm --enable-kvm -monitor stdio -vnc :2  -vga std -drive file=test.img,if=virtio -m 768M

is my new workflow on RHEL6 - tweak qemu arguments to taste of course.
I keep having this temptation to write a simple GTK+ frontend to qemu...

> On Mageia, I get closer than before: the Reached Target Graphical
> Interface kernel message. The graphical window opens up to the full
> resolution, pauses, then gives up and returns to the console (then
> repeats this until I kill it). This looks like the behaviour I got
> attempting to boot from grub with radeon or nouveau video.

Hrm...is this on bare metal, or qemu?  But as for radeon/nouveau, I
think we're still not building mesa/drm with the requisite gallium bits.