Re: X session

On Sat, 2012-11-17 at 10:14 -0500, Michael Hill wrote:
> I've been happily pulling gnomeos to F18 for a few days now (often
> enough that I needed the new 'prune' option last night). With help
> from the CommonIssues page I can successfully boot into
> ostree=current, but I don't seem to have an X session.

So I took a quick look at the most current 3.8-x86_64-devel tree.  This
may be different from what was causing your issue since it was earlier,
but I want to explain what I saw just now; hopefully just explaining
things here will reduce the bus factor of the whole system =)

1) gnome-settings-daemon needs to be rebuilt since gnome-desktop bumped
   soname.  There's actually no mechanism (other than a no-op commit
   to gnome-settings-daemon) to allow people to do this right now.   The
   gnome-ostree build system quite simply at the moment only rebuilds
   modules which changed - there's no "reverse dependency" handling.

   It should be relatively easy to add a means to request a rebuild of
   any module (or even everything) - we could even make it an
   unauthenticated IRC bot command, since there's no
   real security issues.

2) The GDM shell seems to have a bug in the busy cursor code:

    JS ERROR: !!!   Error calling onComplete
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"this._workSpinner is null"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/gdm/loginDialog.js"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '1058'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/gdm/loginDialog.js:1058