Re: [orca-list] Orca screen reader with java swing application

Hello,

I experienced a very similar problem back on Ubuntu Mate 20.04, where I
couldn't get Java accessibility to work at all.

I think the problem was caused by the version of Orca. The one included
in 20.04's repos (3.36.2) is really ancient, the whole versioning
changed in the mean time (the current latest version is 43-rc).

With allowed source repos, you can install it like this:

sudo apt-get build-deps gnome-orca

git clone https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/orca.git

cd orca

PYTHON=/usr/bin/python3 ./autogen.sh

make

sudo make install

Eventually, the accessibility has usually worked out of the box, without
the need for any additions (at least for the apps I tried), java -jar
file.jar was enough for assembled applications and I thing running
.class files directly worked as well.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 1. 9. 2022 o 12:14 Artem Semenov via orca-list napísal(a):
Hi. My name is Artem, I am developing an accessibility IDE based on IntelliJ at JetBrains.
I'm having trouble getting screen reader accessibility of a java swing app running with AtkWrapper.
I see that AtkWrapper has loaded and is working. Internal accessibility methods like
AccessibleContext.GetAccessibleName() are called, but Orca doesn't say anything in the test swing
application window.
I start the application like this:
```shell
./build/linux-x86_64-server-release/images/jdk/bin/java -cp
"build/tests:/home/user/dev/gnome/jawbuild/lib/jvm/java-17-openjdk-amd64/lib/java-atk-wrapper.jar"
-Djava.library.path=/home/user/dev/gnome/jawbuild/lib
-Djavax.accessibility.assistive_technologies=org.GNOME.Accessibility.AtkWrapper
-Djavax.accessibility.screen_reader_present=true AccessibleJListTest
```
I'm using ubuntu 20.04 LTS and building AtkWrapper 0.38.0 from source, and openJDK 17.
Can you please tell me if this is a known issue or am I doing something wrong?