Re: [orca-list] orca and remote desktop connection

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 05:45:04PM -0400, Kyle via orca-list wrote:
This ticket does look like it will resolve this issue perfectly. I especially
like your comment that clarifies the situation. As I mentioned, you can
delete keybindings on a per-application basis, but a toggle that can be set
in the application preferences would be much easier to set.

Yes, it would be really great to have such a toggle.

A workaround to disable the orca key for an application maybe is the
following, still have to test if its working in all situations:

1. Open the application where you do not want to have the orca key, in my
case e.g. virt-viewer.
2. Press orca + ctrl + space to open the applicationspecific orca settings.
3. Change the keyboardlayout e.g. from laptop to desktop and also disable
speech output.
4. Save the new applicationspecific settings.
5. Open the file ~/.local/share/orca/app-settings/virt-manager.conf, there
your applicationspecific settings for virt-viewer have been saved.
6. In the file there is a section called "orcaModifierKeys". In this section
you will find the two defaults for this setting:

   "Insert",
   "KP_Insert"

7. Remove those two lines and save the file. In my case the file looks like
this after I have removed the bindings for the orcaModifierKeys:

-----
{
    "profiles": {
        "default": {
            "general": {
                "orcaModifierKeys": [
                ],
                "enableSpeech": false,
                "keyboardLayout": 1,
                "nativeNavTriggersFocusMode": true
            },
            "pronunciations": {},
            "keybindings": {}
        }
    }
}
-----

8. Now test the application where you do not want to have the
orcaModifierKeys enabled.

Unfortunatly this workaround disables really all interactions with orca in
the application. So if speech support has been disabled, like in the example
above, there is no way to get speech back by just a simple keystroke. If you
need speech again in the application you have to remove the file with the
applicationspecific settings or at least have to set enableSpeech to true in
the file.

Cheers and hth,

  Schoepp