Re: [orca-list] orca and remote desktop connection

Hello guys,

let's sort out things a bit.

In terms of what Orca captures and what it doesn't, this depends on how
does the application capture keys.

If it performs just standard window events reading, that's not enough
and Orca will do its job in this case, perform whatever the shortcut is
supposed to do.

However, in similar situations, it's far more common for the application
to perform a keyboard grab, where the app takes full control over the
keyboard and usually also consumes the traffic.

Great examples of this are QEMu or VirtualBox, where you can also
control the virtual machines without any problems.

The only thing that needs to be found out is, how to make the specific
application perform or release a keyboard grab.

VirtualBox grabs by default, and the grab can be escaped by pressing the
right control key.

QEMU, or more accurately its GTK frontend (I can't recall the name right
now), grabs according to what seems to me like its current mood,
sometimes it works like VB and is grabbing automatically (the grab can
be escaped by pressing Ctrl+Alt+G), sometimes it's the exact opposite -
it doesn't grab at all until the shortcut is pressed, then it starts
working and releases when the shortcut is pressed again or the window
closes.

I also have tried the spice frontend of quickemu. Thisone took a bit
different approach. Instead of relying on shortcuts, it activated the
grab when the mouse pointer was in its window.

So, as you can see, the approaches are rather diverse, and it's
necessary to find information about how does a specific client handles
this (if it's implemented).

Or to find one that does it in an acceptable way.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 20. 5. 2022 o 22:03 José Vilmar Estácio de Souza napísal(a):
Hi all.

I'm using remmina, a remote desktop client, to connect to a windows VM
on which NVDA is installed.

I'm using the spice protocol and the VM is running on the local machine.

the connection happens without problems and I can browse the VM using
NVDA as a screen reader.

The problem I'm running into is that some keys are apparently
intercepted by the orca and not sent to the VM.

If for example I press caps_lock+h, orca's help mode is activated and
the sequence caps_lock+h is not passed to the VM.