Re: [orca-list] Orca, AUR and how does it work?

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 12:16:47AM +0000, Jace Kattalakis via orca-list wrote:
So this is something I've been wondering now I'm full time on Arch.

hello Jace. let me try to explain how *-git packages work in AUR.

Is the AUR package updated at the same time as the git one, i.e. I can just do yay and it'll update or how
does that all work?

this is exactly what happens, but it happens locally on your machine
when the package is built. so if the package builds normally there
is no reason to update it in the AUR.

I don't want to miss out on an update or changes so,
is the AUR the recommended method of keeping Orca-master up to date
or am I looking at it all wrong and should drop back to the Orca in the
Arch repos and build orca-master another way?

using the package is indeed more convenient, and the preferred way to
install orca master in arch.

I'm just not sure how things work over here on Arch as far as keeping
Orca up to date. A quick yay with Orca-git from the AUr installed
shows no updates hence why I'm wondering and sending this

it is also worth considering that many aur helpers remember *-git packages
during installation and then independently check their updates,
and if they see that new commits have appeared in the repository,
they rebuild the package. yay can do it too. [1]

[1] https://github.com/Jguer/yay/blob/next/README.md#development-packages-upgrade

--
Sincerely, Alexander