Re: [orca-list] Decent enough voice other than espeak-ng?

I pulled a Homer Simpson on the mbrola voices. They didn't work right away so I gave up. So then I tried a different espeak-ng voice. I hadn't realized espeak-ng had so many variant voices. I'm using Gene right now. Over the years, I've seen a lot of people comment/complain about the default espeak voice being harsh. Not to criticize, espeak was an amazing leap forward and espeak-ng still is. But, I would have to agree that the default voice is a bit harsh compared to the default voice for jaws. Well, I haven't used jaws for 15 years. For all I know, it has a great voice these days. Anyway, some of the other voices in espeak-ng are as smooth as that old jaws voice. Still sounds mechanical but, personally, I don't care about that. Jonathan Duddington once said that a mechanical voice can be easier to understand than a human sounding voice at a really fast speech rate. I think that is true.