Re: [orca-list] Let's celebrate! Red hat has hired a blind person to improve accessibility!

Le 28/06/2022 à 00:21, Kyle via orca-list a écrit :
[…]

Actually, making things work more like HTML in a web browser is probably a better option. Notice how accessible HTML is right out of the box, and it takes breaking things to break things. For example, I had to do very little to make my website work. It took more effort to make it look good than to make a screen reader read it well. I wish the same for any OS, but many seem to make accessibility rather esoteric, or even occult for many developers instead of making it the default behavior. Developers should not be required to learn tons of extra stuff just to make their applications work with screen readers, and accessibility should be core default functionality, not a bolt-on or an afterthought that requires much training and testing in order to get right from an application developer's standpoint. Yeah, maybe this is perfect world stuff, but we do have the ability, since everything in Linux is open source, to solve this problem once and for all from the ground up.

In theory this sounds right, but there's one thing not to forget: websites are usually mostly text, while applications are usually mostly controls. It's very easy to get text to read properly, but it's harder to get controls to do so, for example that's where you need proper labeling and relations to be comfortable to use -- and that's not that hard to screw up in HTML as well.

And actually, even if things could possibly still be improved, GTK is supposed to do most of the work for you, even for relations: for example, it'll set up the a11y relations for you if you create a relation for keyboard activation (e.g. if you can select a control with e.g. Alt+A, it'll make the relation between the label describing it and the control available) -- basically similar to HTML's <label>: if you have the proper "label-for" or hierarchy, you get semantics that get presented, otherwise you don't.

It gets trickier when applications use specialized (custom) controls, and that's usually where the developers have to do a more little work for accessibility to work properly.

Anyway I agree that a11y should not be an afterthought, but for this it basically has to get widespread acknowledgment, and authors to be aware and educated about it. Just as with HTML, you'll have to set *some* ARIA information in most websites for optimal results, and that's only gonna happen if authors are aware of what they should do, and how to do it. So educating developers *is* important, even if not necessary for the simplest apps to work.

Regards,
Colomban