Re: [orca-list] Dell Inspiron 3501 - Sound Not Working in Linux Mint

Right, a USB headset will probably do the trick. But it is unclear if the OP is doing an install or if they are want to run Linux off a USB drive indefinately. It would be a bummer to have to use a USB headset all the time. The OP said the USB drive works on other Dell laptops so I am going to say Mint doesn't have the kernel module (driver) for the sound card in the problematic laptop. This would probably be fixed by doing an install to the hard drive. Or you could try to add the drivers to the USB drive by doing an update. If you've installed Linux to the USB drive, you can just use your distro's update feature, whatever that is. If you're booting from a live image, you'll have to download and re-install the whole image.