Re: [orca-list] Windows virtualization in Linux

Hello John,

Personally, I have been using Qemu/KVM with virt-manager and virt-viewer under Fedora for years. Using these tools, I run a Windows 10 virtual machine, provided by Microsoft, completely legal, without the need for a license key.

Microsoft provides these VM's for web development testing. For the first 90 days after initialization, they work just as any virtual Windows would. After that time, they randomly shut down. MS writes: "We recommend setting a snapshot when you first install the virtual machine which you can roll back to later." I recommend choosing "MSEdge on Win10". See this URL:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

Qemu or Virt-manager is not listed as an option, but don't worry. You can choose the download for VirtualBox and safely convert the disk image it contains to the qcow2-format required by Qemu. After unpacking the downloaded .zip-file, extract and convert the disk image like this:

tar xvf "MSEdge - Win10.ova";
qemu-img convert -O qcow2 "MSEdge - Win10-disk001.vmdk" "win10.qcow2";

You now have the disk image that you can use in Qemu/KVM Storage Manager. You set up a new virtual machine, add the win10.qcow2 disk image as hard disk, boot, and enjoy.

Two more hints:

1) add your user to the libvirt group, to be able to use the system connection for Qemu/KVM: sudo usermod -aG libvirt <yourusername>

2) if you need decent screen or hardware support in the VM, consider adding the appropriate VM-drivers by RedHat. See this link for an .iso-file you can add as a virtual CD-ROM drive, then install the drivers from there: https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/latest-virtio/virtio-win.iso

Two years ago, still running Debian, I wrote an article about this procedure (in Dutch): https://www.fwiep.nl/blog/windows-vm-voor-noodgevallen

I wish you good luck!

Kind regards,
Frans-Willem