Re: [orca-list] Settings concept for plugin based orca

Howdy Jeffery,

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be simpler to have a
"plug-ins" tab in the Orca Preferences that
well in fact, no. we have to convert all the existing settings into gsettings format any way. keep the existing stuff, but add special handling just for plugins would mean maintain two different code-paths for one thing. We can remove a lot of old (and very ugly) code by unify all the settings handling. We will loose a lot of benefit or have to rework the old code in any way if we want it have running stand alone for example.

Also, maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't their an issue fairly
recently where some Ubuntu-specific patches that force greater
integration between Orca and Gsettings causes issues with backing up
or copying Orca preferences between machines, especially if the
machines are running different distros?
we can write down somewhere how to move the settings to another machine. its also very easy possible. Also my plan is to provide an Im-/ Export functionality

Personally, I have no strong opinion on how the GUI is handled, in
part because Orca+space fails to launch Orca's preferences on my
machine, but I'm in favor of anything that prevents direct editing of
.local/share/orca/user-settings.conf from getting any harder or makes
it easier, and I'm in favor of keeping backing up, restoring, or
copying Orca preferences to another machine staying as simple as
copying .local/share/orca.
the good, you can edit gsettings not only using the preferences dialog but also dconf or gsettings commandline tool. Having a schema is very good here as the database could not break by wrong datatypes, broken syntax or similar like an textfile.

i will hammer in a demo to show hat i see the preferences dialog.

cheers chrys

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be simpler to have a
"plug-ins" tab in the Orca Preferences that

-Lists installed plug-ins.
-provides enabled/disable, remove, and preferences buttons for each plug-in.
-The preferences button brings up preferences specific to that plug-in.

Instead of overhauling the Orca Preferences to integrate plug-in
preferences with the bulit-in preferences?