Re: [orca-list] Using Gnucash with Orca

Hi all,

After various trials and errors during the weekend, I have to thank all of you who suggested the use of Homebank as it comes out of the box already accessible. However, what I discovered with Gnucash is that it is now accessible in 4.8. As a result, I have settled on it being my
default personal finance program.

For the benefit of anyone who might want to try it out, I am ready to
help. Of course, currently I spend most of my time in the accounts
register, the Loan Calculator tool and Schedule window. So other
advanced tools like reporting and reconciliation, I have not yet tried them out.

Below is a bit of a long tutorial on using Gnucash personal finance
management tool based on my experience. So bear with me.

This is what I ended up doing getting around inaccessible
controls.

1. Accounts setup is accessible from the menus. When starting a new file, the New Accounts Hierarchy dialog box pops up which guides you through the process of creating a new Chart of Accounts. You can pick
the appropriate CoA based on whether you are a business or just a
household. Since it is just a wizard, I found this without issues.
2. The spot that used to torment me was the Accounts Register: its
fields are not labelled, but with the help of a pair of eyes from a
friend, I figured out the following:
(a) In basic ledger (with one split), we have these fields for each
split: [1] Date; [2] account number; [3] description; [4] Transfer
account (the other account to be affected by this transaction); [5] the debit field (the left side of the ledger entry, increases the assets and expense accounts, while increasing the liability, Equity and Income
accounts. The extended accounts equation here helps:
------ begin equation ---
Assets - Expenses = Equity + Liability + Income
------ End equation ------
Anything to the left of the equal sign is a
debit account which gets increased by this field. Sorry for a lengthy footnote :). ); and [6] the Credit field (or the righthand side of a
ledger entry. See note above about its importance: credit field
increases Equity, Liabilities and Income accounts, as dictated by the
extended Account equation.)

(B) In Split mode, (we can split a ledger by going to View->Autosplit
Ledger while we are in Account Register), the order of the fields
differ. The idea here is that you can affect more than two accounts with one transaction. For example, getting a salary of say 1000 (in whichever currency) may affect the Tax account, your savings Account and your Pension account. So in split window, what I normally do is to first go to View->Autosplit ledger and then press the Enter key to start entering
transactions. This way, the fields are as follows:
[1] Action window: do you want to increase, decrease or direct debit the affected account? you pick from the list. I just type the first letter of the action, and using the up or down arrow key, pick the preferred action; [2] Memo for the split: this is just a helpful tip for yourself as for the purpose of the transaction; [3] Transfer Account: just type the first letter of the account to be affected. In the example of a salary given above, I Pick Income:Salary and press enter; [4] The next field is a debit field. But as this is an income account, I have to credit it to increase it. [5] The credit field is the last one for this split, so I enter 1000 as added to the Income:Salary account. Now here comes the interesting part: Pressing the Tab key here will simply add a new split (think of how a tab in a table adds a new row): a split is just a ledger window for another account affected
by this transaction. So pressing the tab key will repeat the steps
above, but instead here under action I pick Increase, Under memo I state that this increases my savings account, Under Transfer Account, I pick Assets:Savings for my bank account. Now I tab into the Debit field. By default Gnucash will already have deposited 1000 for you, as the credit for the income already has this figure. So I edit it and remove 1000 and instead just type 800, the other 200 is to be gobbled by other two
accounts. Under credit field I leave it empty. I press the tab key
again for a new split, pick Increase, under transfer account I pick Expense:Tax, then
under the debit field I enter 90, (by default you will find 200 in
there). Its credit field is left empty and tab again for a new split:
Action Increase; memo type what you want; Transfer Account, pick
Expense:Pension. Already its Debit field will have the remainder of all
the deductions from the original 1000: so it has 110.
After all the splits are entered, press Enter. your transaction will be
recorded.

3. Another problematic spot I used to have besides the Account Register
was expanding and collapsing Accounts trees, especially those that
weren't placeholders. An account in Gnucash can have other accounts known as subaccounts. This account might be a placeholder, meaning that you cannot post new entries to it. A placeholder account simply contains other accounts. However, there are some accounts that aren't placeholder accounts that contain other accounts: you can post transactions to them, while at the same time you can create new subaccounts underneath them.

Anyway, to expand an account tree which is a placeholder account, you can simply press the Spacebar while the focus is on the Name field.

However, the consistent way to  expand an account tree
whether it is a placeholder or not, is to press Shift+Right arrow. To collapse it, just press Shift+left arrow keys. After you do this, you
will see a level of other accounts here.

4. To Edit an account, or to open its Account Register, just press the enter key while the account is being announced. To have this window properly announced by Orca, I had to go to Edit->Preferences and under Account Register, I ticked "Open in new window". This way you can even review any transactions you made in the past by using Up arrow or down arrow to move between transactions. Transactions are like rows in a table: you move in a transaction using the Tab key or Shift+Tab to go
back. Home and end move to the beginning or end of a field,
respectively. Shift+page Up moves to the First transaction, whilst
Shift+Page Down moves to the last transaction in the register.

So folks, sorry for the long message, but I hope it might be of help to someone looking forward to using Gnucash: my overall assessment is that this is a good and accessible application albeit one that still needs a little tinkering. In my opinion, some work may still need to be done on making the field labels accessible: Orca should read these labels. In the meantime, besides what I said above, I discovered that if you read
the status bar with Orca, Gnucash will be showing the purpose of a
highlighted field. So you can just read the statusbar with Orca
Key+Keypad Enter twice quickly. I am using Gnucash 4.8, so this may not be the experience you get if you use another version. I hope to add this
tutorial to my blog by Friday after editing it a bit.

Hope this helps someone out there,

Warm regards,

Ishe