Re: [orca-list] Managing speed in espeak-ng for speech-dispatcher and orca

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 11:23:08PM +0300, Vsevolod Popov via orca-list wrote:
Hello,

hello.

I would like to know some details about managing the speed in espeak-ng.
I know we can do that with max rate parameter in
/etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak-ng.conf, but how does it exactly work?

minrate and maxrate settings sets lower and upper bounds for increasing
the speech rate.

I changed the maximum speed from 390 to 500 words, but speed didn't really
increase at 80% in orca, that's usually how I use it in NVDA for windows.

espeak-ng without sonic supports maximum speech rate of 449 words per minute.

Does this parameter increase the speed only for 100% value?
Is it possible to set the similar speed values as NVDA so it will speak in
the same fast speed as NVDA does?

in the current speech-despatcher master the espeak-ng max speed already
matches[1] nvda max speed without rate boost.

I noticed that the rate is really different for espeakup and orca with
speech-dispatcher.

yep. espeakup doesn't use speech despatcher.

So, how do I manage the speed correctly?

try latest sd master.

Do I also need to change minimum and normal rate so the changes will be
noticible?

maybe.

Thank you for your help!

ps You can always ask questions of this kind directly to me and get an answer
much faster than on the mailing list. besides in Russian.

[1]: https://github.com/brailcom/speechd/pull/603

--
Sincerely, Alexander