Re: [orca-list] Should Orca do a say all for all new, non-focused alerts?

Speaking the full alert message and all its controls is entirely too verbose, especially if I have my verbosity set to brief, and it certainly doesn't help that the alert doesn't get focus, so it's saying too much, but still keeps focus on the website, and therefore doesn't solve the problem of getting to the alert, which would tell me all I need to know once I can interact with it.. I saw a message to this list that suggested to have it say something like

"Alert. Allow mozilla.github.io to use your microphone? Press F6 to interact with this alert."

I may prefer something more like

"Alert. Allow mozilla.github.io to use your microphone? F6 to focus."

But this only makes sense if full verbosity is turned on, which already toggles with a keyboard shortcut. Once I know that pressing F6 focuses the alert, I don't even need that information anymore. In any case, something like this would help much more than just spewing a whole bunch of controls and buttons that we can't immediately interact with, and instead gives us an indicator of how to actually interact with the alert and get/set the information we need once it has focus.

And no, Orca doesn't need to spew tons of not immediately useful information at us just because that is what that other screen reader over there is doing. I had many reasons for leaving Microsoft, its operating system and its screen readers behind in favor of Linux and eventually Orca, and that verbal vomit that Windows-based screen readers spew, especially on websites, is certainly one. It's also the reason why I have come to absolutely loathe ChromeVox, as well as the way Talkback interacts with Google Chrome on Android. So no, please, please, for the love of all things bright and beautiful, don't copy these other screen readers and their verbal spew. There is certainly something to be said for Orca's tendency to be as helpful as possible in as few words as possible.

~Kyle