Re: [orca-list] Distro recommendations

Hi Reece,

I maintain Slint, so maybe my opinion is slightly biased ;)

this caveat out of the way, Slint is fully accessible from installation to
usage with braille and speech, on the console as in graphical environments
including Mate and you won't loss speech or braille when switching back
and forth between Mate and console. We maintain the a11y stack up to date,
currently including orca-40.beta, speech-dispatcher-0.10.2, brltty-6.3, up
to date TTS engines with associated voices and the console screen readers
espeakup, speechd-up and fenrir.

Slint is also as far as I know is the only Linux distribution providing
full disk encryption out of the box, if:
1) The drive where you install it is dedicated to Slint.
2) You use the Auto mode of installation.
3) When asked, you accept to have the drive encrypted.
4) You type the passhrase twice during installation, of course.

Then GRUB will ask the LUKS passphrase just before displaying the boot menu.
The root partition and optionally an optional additional partition will be
encrypted (in Auto mode /home and /boot are directories inside /, not
separate partitions, and no need for LVM on top of the cake.)

Lightweight? It depends. if you mean snappy or responsive the answer is yes.
For instance you will get swap on zram installed, which allows to almost
never use the swap file on hard drive or SSD.

If you mean very few installed software then sorry, the answer is no, Slint
ships a lot of software out of the box, only KDE being optional. The
installed software will only take space on disk (around 18G in total as of
now), but not get in your way or slow down the computer at all, however, if
having as few software installed by default as possible is a must for you
Slint is not what you are looking for.

If you have more questions, feel free to drop by the channel #slint on
irc.freenode.net or send an email with the subject subscribe to
slint-request freelists org.

Best regards,
Didier