Re: [orca-list] Installing linux with windows 10

In Ubuntu you can schoose for the option to install Ubuntu next to Windows or for the option 'Other' to choose for a partition. You then can also check if the bootloader will install on the right drive/partition.

Milton

Op 30-01-2021 om 19:41 schreef Didier Spaier via orca-list:
Well, Slint will just installs a root partition and if there is enough space propose to add another one, both formatted with ext4, unless the drive be a raw SD card (not a SD card in an USB adapter) in which case f2fs is used. No
swap partition (a swap file plus a swap in zram space instead) neither a
/home nor a /boot partition and the same ESP used by Windows is also used to
install the GRUB OS loader, if it's big enough. But I have to let others
comment about the Ubuntu installer.

Didier

Le 30/01/2021 à 19:18, Glenn K0LNY a écrit :
That method never works well for me, as when you use the unused space, the installer asks for partition types for all the Linux partitions that it will
be creating.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Didier Spaier via orca-list" <orca-list gnome org>
To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2021 8:19 AM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Installing linux with windows 10

Hello Daniel,

My advice is to shrink the partition (or volume, in Windows parlance) from
Windows itself before installing Ubuntu. Hopefully the Ubuntu installer
should
the be able to find the space you will have freed and install Ubuntu there.
You will have to check as I don't use Ubuntu.

I have written instructions here for Slint (but this should work for any
distribution as the commands are to be typed in Windows):
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/New_Installer/Doc_in_the_installer/FreeSpace

Best regards,
Didier