Re: [orca-list] OT: Best console screen reader for roguelikes?

15.01.2021 21:15, Mewtamer via orca-list writes:
Even with a console screen reader, I haven't had much luck with the
few console rogue-likes I've tried.

I think part of the problem is that rogue-likes tend to represent the
dungeon map on-screen as a grid of ascii characters with empty floor
tiles represented as white space while most console screen readers are
designed primarily for reading plain text. Reading whole rows of such
a map often doesn't parse well, especially with the asumption that
whitespace is unvoiced, and while it would be useful to be able to
read character-by-character up and down columns and not just
left-and-right across rows, or to have the screen position of the
character under the reading cursor spoken, to my knowledge, no console
screen reader provides either of these functions.

some clarifications. the floor cells in rogelikes are most often indicated by a dot symbol. empty cells mean areas invisible to the character. also the coordinates of the character on the screen can be found using speakup + del

That said, regarding options for console screen readers:

Speakup is probably the most widely used console screen reader,
usually with espeakup acting as a bridge between it, the user, and
espeak(-ng). Alternatively, I believe speechdup can serve as a bridge
between speakup and speech dispatcher, allowing the use of any tts
engine with a speech dispatcher module. That said, unless things have
changed, speakup is stuck in the Linux Kernel's staging tree and isn't
available by default on distros with a blanket no staging policy for
the kernel packages they ship. I believe the main offenders in this
regard are Fedora and some other RedHat-Family distros.

things are certainly changed. starting from 5.9 kernel speakup is in main tree.

--

Sincerely, Alexander.