Re: [orca-list] Discord web/browsers/autoo focus

Hey Jace.

I could use some clarification of your expectations. Mainly we need to
agree on what "auto focus" means. Do you mean:

1. Orca automatically switches to focus mode, or
2. Orca moves you to the place the author put you rather than at the
   top of the page?

If you mean 1, then I cannot (for the most part) reproduce this *if* I
have gone into Orca's preferences for Firefox and unchecked the option
to use automatic focus mode in native navigation.

I did notice something silly while testing, however: If I enable SayAll
on page load, sometimes Orca would enter focus mode automatically, but
then it would immediately exit focus mode. I have just committed a
change to Orca master which prevents automatically entering focus mode
during a SayAll regardless of settings. That seems to me to be the
correct thing independent of your specific report.

If I disable SayAll upon page load, and also disable automatic focus
mode in native navigation, and load discord.com/channels/ Discord
automatically puts focus in "Enter a Username#0000" entry inside a
form. This brings us to item 2. I personally do *not* think Orca should
put you at the top of the page. The author thinks you (and everyone
else) should be in that entry. And I don't think it's Orca's job to
tell the page author they are wrong. If Discord (or Google or whatever)
puts a sighted user somewhere they don't want to be, they
navigate/click/whatever to where they do want to be. Screen reader
users can do the same thing. So here I think what Orca should do is:

A. Announce where the author put the focus
B. Respect the user's preference for automatic focus mode

For my settings described above (disabled automatic focus mode in
native navigation), that means I'd still be in the "Enter a
Username#0000" field but in browse mode.

I hope this makes sense. Could you please pull Orca master and let me
know if Orca is putting you in focus mode rather than browse mode
against your expectations/settings?

Thanks!
--joanie