Re: [orca-list] Accessible linux system for a MacOS user

IIRC, you have to do an install of Debian stable and then upgrade to the testing release. I'd also recommend using the unofficial Debian installer with non-free firmware.

On 2/12/21 12:14 PM, orca-list gnome org wrote:
Talking about Debian, which kind of iso would you recommend to install Debian 11 testing?

I mean, is there an iso with at least brltty inclooded, and the Broadcom drivers as well? It’s for a friend.

Best regards.Francisco/.

*From: *Mewtamer via orca-list <mailto:orca-list gnome org>
*Sent: *Friday, February 12, 2021 6:57 PM
*To: *orca-list gnome org <mailto:orca-list gnome org>
*Subject: *[orca-list] Accessible linux system for a MacOS user

Just going to toss my two cents American into the ring...

Regardless of Distro, I'm pretty sure running the absolutely latest

Orca, commonly referred to as Orca Master is always going to require

regularly pulling from the Git repository and going through the

process to build it yourself as detailed in the tutorial recently

posted by Milton. However, this is true of just about any opensource

project.

And yes, Debian Stable and Ubuntu LTS often contain outdated packages,

both for Orca and for pretty much everything else. This is just part

of their nature as releases that sacrifice being cutting edge in favor

of stability and minimizing the risk that software upgrades will

introduce major bugs. Regular Ubuntu, having only a 6-month release

cycle compared with Ubuntu LTS's 2-year cycle and Debian's "when it's

ready" cycle, typically doesn't have as big a problem with outdated

packages, and Debian Testing, outside of perhaps the feature freeze

stage of the current Debian Testing being prepped to become the new

Debian Stable, usually has packages that are close to the latest

release, and despite technically being a development version, Debian

Testing is often touted as more stable than many distro's stable

releases.

That said, even if you decide to go with Debian Stable or Ubuntu LTS,

there is an intermediate option between sticking with a version that

will be horribly outdated by the time of the next Debian Stable or

Ubuntu LTS and regularly pulling and building from Git. This would be

to use Backports.In a nutshell, Backport versions of a given package

are compiled from the software's latest stable release, but build

against the libraries that ship with the target Distro. For example,

Debian testing and Debian Backports might contain the same version of

Orca, but while the Testing version is built against libaries in

Testing, upgrading just Orca to it's Debian Testing Package might

require upgrading all of its dependencies, possibly breaking packages

from Debian Stable that depend on the older versions of those

libaries... meanwhile, the Backports version of Orca would be built

against Debian Stable's libraries, so upgrading Orca from Debian

stable to Debian Backports might only require upgrading a few

dependencies where Orca requires a new version or installing a few new

ones the older Orca didn't need.

I also think it worth noting that many of the updates to Orca are to

address accessibility issues upgrades to other software introduced. In

other words, if you're running a version of Firefox or Chromium that's

just as old as the version of Orca you're using, you probably won't

miss the changes made to Orca to address changes made in newer

versions of Firefox and chromium. Admittedly, not all Orca development

follows this pattern, but the Orca Mailing list does get a lot of

"Program X used to work with Orca, I upgraded X, now I have a problem

using X with Orca" which often leads to Orca getting a patch to work

around some new quirk in x and/or a bug being filed against x.

Anyways, I'm personally sourcing 99% of the software on my system from

Debian Testing, and I'm pretty sure the only way I could run a newer

Orca would be to go the Git route, which doesn't strike me as worth

the effort on account of Firefox-ESR being the only reason I don't

live entirely in text-mode... Though, admittedly, one reason I use

Firefox-ESR instead of the regular Firefox release is that ESR doesn't

change as fast, meaning I'm less likely to run into a Firefox issue

that requiresa upgrade to Orca Master... the other main reason being

that Debian only provides Firefox's regular release in Debian

Unstable.