Re: [orca-list] pipe wire

I tested Pipewire here. It was very easy to install it, and just installing pipewire-pulse completely replaced Pulseaudio automatically, which was very nice indeed. In fact, it even told me that my pulseaudio and pulseaudio-bluetooth packages were in conflict and allowed me to remove them. I didn't have any problem with speech-dispatcher not being interruptable, and a rec/play pipe echo test gave me much lower latency than Pulse. However, after a while, my USB sound device started glitching just a bit after recording. It sounded much like a scratched CD that is not scratched enough to skip, but scratched enough to click click click rhythmically with varying volume. My bluetooth headphones were also completely unintelligible with speech-dispatcher running. I tried playing a song using sox, and the sound came to my headphones without issue, but then as soon as I started orca and speech-dispatcher, both the speech and the song I was playing became unintelligible. My tests with my USB device using Audacity resulted in increasing latency every time I recorded a new track. It's possible this had much to do with the clicking I was hearing, but it could have also had a lot to do with the fact that I was testing a rather involved set of short tracks on top of a longer track, which introduced more latency each time a new track was recorded. It seems Pipewire, at least the Pulseaudio replacement portion, could use a bit of work especially on USB and bluetooth devices. Otherwise, it's a good start, and is actually better than many onboard sound chips have been with Pulseaudio, especially in the beginning when it became the default in Ubuntu back about 12 years ago.

~Kyle