Re: [orca-list] Installing debian with no sound

It can't be done. Well, IMO, the easiest way to install Linux without sound is to boot into a live image, enable ssh, and type in the installation commands yourself.  But that's not for beginners. As a beginner, in order to have a chance, you really have to get sound working. Or braille, if you have a braille display.

To get sound working, the first thing you should try is to use the Unofficial Debian images that include firmware packages

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

Second, try a USB headset instead of relying on the system sound card. Just have the USB headset plugged in when you boot and it should be detected and used.

Third, try a different distro, possibly Ubuntu. Ubuntu is very similar to Debian but they include drivers for everything, even if they are proprietary.

If you really have to do an installation w/o sound, you can boot from a live image like GRML, https://grml.org. You can enable ssh at boot time. Then you can ssh in and type in the installation commands one by one. The stps are basically, partition the hard drive, run debootstrap, chroot to the hard drive, install a kernel, configure grub, create an /etc/fstab file, reboot. After you've done it a million times, it will seem easy.