Re: [orca-list] Mate desktop and applets

Ctrl+Alt+Tab cycles among Desktop, Top, and Bottom panels.  The applets are on the top panel.  Since you are in Debian Testing, you may find that they just say "icon", rather than their names.  This is a known bug in GTK3, as is shipping in Debian Testing and Fedora Mate.  For accessing your network connections, you could use the program, nmtui, in a terminal, if that's easier.  Note:  these panel applets usually have a menu associated with them. Try hitting 'space' on the applet icon.

The distro called Slint doesn't yet have this problem.  Though it uses the older GTK3, the accessibility stack is the latest and greatest.  What's more, you can use your mix of consol and gui, if you like.

HTH,

Dave  Hunt

Sent from my Lenovo Thinkpad, running Slint GNU/Linux.  https://slint.fr