Re: [orca-list] Using eMacSpeak

Emacspeak is pretty up-to-date, and I love its speech and sound stuff it has going on, showing syntax highlighting, quick sounds for actions instead of speech, all that. But, on a Pi, you have to deal with ESpeak, which doesn't have that great of an Emacspeak speech server. So, I'd just stick with general text editors.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 4:31 AM Raphaël POITEVIN via orca-list <orca-list gnome org> wrote:
Hello,

"Glenn K0LNY" <glennervin cableone net> writes:

> I am wondering / considering putting eMacSpeak on my Raspberry PI Zero.
> I would like to hear from some users, and also from anyone who does not like
> it.

On my desktop, I use Emacs + Speechd-el which is more up to date.

> I tried Stormux, but it did not seem to work at all on the zero.

If you use a Zero, how do you have sound? There is no sound card.

> I don't want to go out and read about eMacSpeak, I just want to hear from
> some of you.
> For example, is it a CLI program, or does it require a desktop?

It works only in Emacs.

> Does it take a lot of RAM?

I don't think so. It would depend on your TTS.

> The RPI zero only has 512 MB of RAM.

Yes. I use only Braille. But if you have any solution to have sound, I'm'
interested.

> I have loaded up the desktop and installed Orca, but that runs pretty
> slow.

You're a ranger! :-)

Regards,
--