[orca-list] Maybe OT, VmWare and UbuntuMate

Hi,
I wrote maybe OT, because I don't know if the problem is Orca not starting or something else.
I am running a 64 bit system with 8GB of RAM.
I installed VmWare Player and installed UbuntuMate 18.43 64 bit into the VM.
I found a list of keyboard commands, and it would seem that I'm likely in Ubuntu.
It asked for a username and password during the VM install of Ubuntu, so I have tried my username and password upon opening the Ubuntu.
I have tried everything I can think of to get Orca talking, and nothing yet.
It normally works on this computer with Ubuntu 16.43 in a live session.
I may have to try that, but before removing the 18, I wonder if folks have had any luck with VmWare in Windows as the host machine and Linux as the guest.
Thanks.

Glenn