Re: [orca-list] ot: what to use to write technical documents (no math)

I think given that you're writing your thesis, most people would say just write it in latex. I write everything in latex, even when I'm writing my Congressman. I don't send my Congressman a latex document, of course. I either print it or convert it to pdf. Even if you could see, there would be good reasons for writing a thesis in latex. But latex has a huge advantage for blind people in that you can make a really nice looking document fairly easily.

It is a really tough call though. A lot of people will tell you latex is dead. Most academic journals still prefer latex although they accept almost anything these days. If you are going to continue in a technical field, you will find more opportunities to use your knowledge of latex. On the other hand, a lot of people in technical parts of academia never learn latex.

Personally, I think the deciding factor is that with latex, a blind person can make really nice looking documents. I frequently write grant proposals that go to dozens of pages and when I asked a sighted person to help me make it look nice, they almost never have anything major to correct. I cannot see what the documents look like but apparently, they look pretty good.

If you decide to teach yourself latex, start with the wikibook.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX