Re: [orca-list] Questions about Distributions

Debian refers to all proprietary drivers, whether they are free or not, as non-free. If you can do an install, you can install the drivers afterward by enabling the non-free repository in your sources.list. But that can be impossible on a laptop because sometimes the wifi drivers are non-free. So Debian puts out an unofficial installer with proprietary drivers:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

On 3/6/20 10:15 AM, sonfire11--- via orca-list wrote:
I tried Debian a few times back in December. They always prided themselves on having the widest range of hardware compatibility. Unfortunately, it is the only distro that doesn’t support some hardware in my laptop. My first choice is Fedora, but since I can’t get Mate to bring up the app launcher with the windows key like Ubuntu Mate does, Ubuntu is my next choice.

Andy Borka

*From: *John G Heim via orca-list <mailto:orca-list gnome org>
*Sent: *Friday, March 6, 2020 10:56 AM
*To: *Mewtamer <mailto:mewtamer gmail com>; Alexander Epaneshnikov <mailto:aarnaarn2 gmail com>
*Cc: *Orca List <mailto:orca-list gnome org>
*Subject: *Re: [orca-list] Questions about Distributions

For years I have been pondering submitting a bug report to Debian about

their naming conventions. My department had a problem with Debian stable

releases taking  too long. I really wanted to switch us to Debian

testing but my boss had the predictable response, we're not running a

testing distribution. So we switched to Ubuntu STS instead. But I'll bet

that Debian testing is more stable than Ubuntu STS. If it just had a

different name, we'd be running debian testing today.