Re: [orca-list] Voxin 3.0 installation error

Hi, Didier:

Hmmm, building speech-dispatcher from git sounds attractive, actually. I
may actually do that.

However, I'm not putting much effort into my current Linux machine as I
expect to replace it very, very soon, like probably within a month.

It's not just that my current hardware is 8 plus years old, with none of
the internal sata drives functional anymore (i.e. my /home is on a USB3
connected external). it's probably more problematic that I have all
kinds of ancient cached configuration data going back to who knows when?
I don't. Possibly back to the days I first started using Linux directly
in 1999.

Even as I got new hardware several times since then, I simply used rsync
to copy over everything.

My intent is to be more careful building up the new machine. I'm
considering an approach where my /home on Linux will be a stub directory
with symlinked access to samba mounted file directories. The idea is to
have my various work folders accessible across all my machines, Windows,
Mac, and Linux.  So, it may be useful to keep my Mac .zshrc separate
from my Linux .zshrc, just by way of example.

So, glad to hear speech-dispatcher voxin support is coming. That works
for me.

Now, it'll be nice to get back to using espeak-ng for speakup/fenrir
(and orca). You helped me get that going a couple years ago, but it's
also no longer functional. My linphone is no longer functional, etc.,
etc.

So, I'm rethinking everything and wondering whether some of what I do
should be in containers.

Best,

Janina

Orca screen reader developers writes:
Hello Janina,

about your issue (not the one reported by Ivan) I am a bit puzzled.

speech-dispatcher from git commit 6d6792cd in Slint main repository as
voxin is not yet compatible with speech-dispatcher after commit 7eaca7c,
cf.: https://github.com/brailcom/speechd/issues/338

But maybe that's not the same issue, as in Arch speech-dispatcher is
currently at version 9.1. Unless you built it from git locally?

Anyway Gilles intends to make voxin compatible with speech-dispatcher 10
within 3 months or so.

Cheers,
Didier